Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Tyler


Today my blog is a tribute to my number one child. 21 years ago today almost to the minute at the beginning of writing this, I gave birth to Tyler Scott Dudley. He weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz and was born at 5:24 pm in Richland, WA. I will spare you the gory details, but suffice to say, after 20 hours, I was glad the giant headed kid had finally made his grand entrance.
Tyler was one of those babies who gave instant feedback to all who were there. He was very bright-eyed and stared at you, almost like he knew a secret. He immediately stole my heart, that's for sure. Bruce wasn't able to be there for the birth, he was at the Officer Advance course at Ft. Ben Harrison in Indianapolis. Tyler was born before Skype was invented so we overnighted a VHS tape to him of the birth. I can't imagine how surreal it was for him to become a dad over the phone and via video taped images. 10 days later Tyler and I flew out to meet Daddy for the first time. (That was adventure worthy of its own blog entry, maybe some day)
We spent 6 months in Indy where I was home with Tyler while Bruce attended his Army school. It was a very special time for me and I still look back on those days fondly. Tyler basically trained me in the art of mothering, he was such an easy baby and we settled into a routine and it really does seem like only yesterday that he was my little infant cooing and projectile vomiting his baby barf everywhere.
Ladies at the store would often stop and goo goo over him as I do to other young moms now. They would always say "Enjoy him while he's a baby, before you know it he'll be all grown up." I used to smile politely but inside would think that they were a little off their rockers. Well, guess what, the crazy old ladies were right and now I've turned into one of them. My little baby is a big grown up college student who still delights us, doesn't barf on us anymore, but makes us very proud. The time went by in the blink of an eye.
Happy Birthday Ty Ty, your mom loves you.


No comments:

Post a Comment