Saturday, March 17, 2012

Back among the running

Hey all,

Happy St. Patricks Day! I celebrated this morning with the first annual "Dudley Shamrock Run"!

As luck would have it and I don't even think I have any Irish as part of my heritage, but on this day I was feeling lucky. As luck would have it, I won all the age groups, both genders. I ran a glorious 30 minutes circling muddy Bush Park. I am fairly certain that all the other participants were unaware they were in the race... but ahem, a victory is a victory. I mean, I felt like Norfolk State or Lehigh... poor runners didn't know what hit them. They, like Missouri and Duke are probably still reeling in their locker rooms.

In all seriousness, this day marked my first real "run" in almost a year. I've been battling my hamstring injury and am officially in the final stages of my "return to run" program that I began after months of exercises and PT. In the 30 minutes I'm allowed (increasing slowly from here) I covered 2 and 1/4 laps around Bush, so that's roughly 3 miles and some change. Nothing stellar in terms of speed, but I felt great, the sun was shining, my shoes are muddy and I feel the normal soreness of a runner who hasn't been running. All of these things, I count as awesome!

If you're reading this, I'll let you in on a little secret. I may have a very cool goal to work toward. I can't talk about it yet, but you'll be the first to know when I can. Until then, you can bet I'll be flying high on endorphins and sweat. Aaaah...

Dudster

No comments:

Post a Comment