Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making a break for Spring

It is Spring Break this week for my kids. We aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, which is a bit depressing. Trent is in Mexico on a Mission trip which is cool and Tyler is spending his break with a bunch of his friends in Idaho. So, that's fun for him, but poor Megan was lamenting the other day. You see, last year we went on a cruise and well I guess poor Meg thought there was a theme developing. I was explaining to her that she was pretty fortunate in the amount of traveling she's done at her young age. She asked the inevitable; "What did you guys used to do for your Spring Break when you were little?" I replied, "Chores." Ended her sniveling pretty quickly.

Reminded me of when Tyler was working 2 jobs and still training for XC and at one point he said, "I have worked 10 days in a row, what's the longest you ever worked without a day off?" I told him it was my first harvest job, we worked 38 days in a row until it rained and on the 39th day, we only had to work 8 hours instead of the usual 12. He said, "I asked the wrong parent didn't I?" Quick study.

The life of a farm kid is slightly less glamorous than Laura Ingalls would have you all think. I had plenty of fun though and I wouldn't change it for anything.

So, as we attempt to make a break for Spring around here, I can look out the window and see that it is pouring rain and the sun is shining, typical! The crocus have bloomed and the daffodils are out, the frogs have started croaking at night and a couple of track meets have been run, so Spring is indeed coming, we just must be patient. I'll soon have a "spring" in my step when I embark on the first run in shorts and short sleeves. Oh yes, it will come...

Dudster

No comments:

Post a Comment