Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The baby season

Don't let the title scare you, I'm not trying to get into the National Enquirer for the oldest broad in the states to get pregnant... we've cauterized that bridge, ahem, sorry for the bad vasectomy joke. No, I begin this blog as I have been journeying with a few friends over the last several months who are adopting kids. I have read blogs, heard prayers, witnessed tears and many other moments of long journeys of friends to "have" their babies.

Yesterday, while running, it occurred to me that as I was a young married and had friends who were having kids and all the "terms" we threw around. It all seemed so normal and everyone talked about how many weeks along they were, how big the baby was, how much weight had we gained, what names we had picked out. The terminology was that of couples having babies, couples getting pregnant and carrying a baby to full term and giving birth. A great journey!

So, the terms I'm learning now are a bit different. I hear the words dossier, referral, waiting list, all these things are just as big of milestones as the first and second and third trimester. The plane ticket they will buy when they get the message that they can visit their baby in Ethiopia... THAT is a way bigger thing than buying a Johnny Jump Up!

Basically, the thought I have on my endorphin induced blog is that at this stage of my life, I love that my friends are going through the pregnancy and childbirth stories of my younger years. I love that their stories are going to be told over and over again, reliving that birth like we mamas love to do. I love that some very special babies are going to be loved forever and the best part: I get to meet them and babysit! Spoil them at the Dudleys and send them home.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and good luck friends, you know who you are.

Dudster (aka, free babysitter)

3 comments:

  1. free babysitter? why am I just NOW hearing about this??

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWEsome post! And I can't wait for the free babysitting! Thanx friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dudster. Seriously you are SUCH a servant and such a sincere cheerleader and I seriously love how you mourn with those who mourn and rejoice with those who rejoice. Thanks so much for entering in to my story, our story and the stories of your friends who are walking this crazy journey! Fatty is going to LOVE you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete